Navarra Parliament Otxotorena Arquitectos. Image © José Manuel Cutillas
A previously historic government building has now become the centre of the Parliament of Navarra, Spain.
Designed by Otxotorena Arquitectos, the redevelopment project was part of plans to restore the 19th century Audiencia Building of Pamplona. Covering 11,062 square metres, the €9 million redevelopment project has drawn attention for its architectural aesthetics which incorporate a new glass skin into the parliament building. The architectural design manages to retain the historic nature of the original building while adapting the space available to incorporate more modern methods of aesthetics.
According to reports, the new glass skin enables the design of the original building to still be seen while modernising the building for 2013.
The glass skin is divided into glass panes, allowing light to enter. The panes are suspended on a series of hangers and beams made of carbon and stainless steel.
The interior of the updated building has also been remodelled with the central spaces of the government building specifically designed to meet the needs of the representatives. The interior includes a large atrium which complements the glass skin on the exterior of the building. The top floors of the building are designated for administrative and political purposes with the the presidency area on the first floor.
This first floor is known now as the ‘noble floor’. This title includes areas for judicial services, intervention services and lawyers.
The ground floor is also open for public use. The new public space incorporates a new library, a press conference room and an enquiries desk. It is home to storage and service area spaces, a cafeteria, a filing room, changing rooms and a book depository. The older red brick building, the design of which had been combined with a Tafalla-stone facade, was completely gutted during the redevelopment phase to make room for a large glazed courtyard which will house a plenary room and a vestibule.
The original Parliament building was built between 1892 and 1897 as part of an urban development plan for the Paseo Sarasate opposite the Palacio de Navarre. This came about as a result of negotiations between the Pamplona Council and the army in 1888; the council had to obtain permission from the army to go ahead with the city’s first urban expansion project. Since the end of the last century, the building has been the official home of all of the high courts in Navarre. The Parliament of Navarra has been in power since 2002. Before the redevelopment, it had been housed at the Palacio.